Classic Pork Stew
A hearty meal to warm you up while you enjoy great flavors!
For the Pork
- 2 1/2 pound boneless pork roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small leeks, white and green part thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 14.5 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried organo
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, cut in half
- Chopped parsley for garnish
Step 1Step 2
In medium bowl, toss pork cubes in flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Place one half on the pork in an even layer in the dutch oven. Do not overcrowd. Brown for two to three minutes. Turn each piece and brown for two to three minutes. Transfer browned pork to a plate. Repeat with remaining pork, transferring to plate when browned.Step 3
Add leeks, shallots, and garlic to dutch oven and saute for two to three minutes until the leeks are wilted. Add wine and stir to deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom of the pot to remove browned bits.Step 4
Add carrots, potatoes, chicken stock, tomatoes, vinegar, bay leaves, basil, oregano, thyme, two teaspoons salt, and one teaspoon pepper to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, mixing well. Reduce heat to low and simmer for five minutes.
Add pork to the stew, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue simmering for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately garnished with chopped parsley.Step 7
Shred pork using two forks. Toss shredded meat with about half the barbecue sauce. Serve warm with buns and more barbecue sauce.
We hope you enjoy! Let us know if you try them in the comments below!